Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Roll
Published: Dec 21, 2021
Updated: Dec 09, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Our Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Roll is a classic recipe reminiscent of Little Debbie’s Swiss Rolls, but in a larger form and made better with chocolate AND peanut butter. Kids and adults alike can’t get enough of this soft, sweet dessert with a chocolate shell.
Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Roll Recipe
Scrumptious chocolate cake rolled around a creamy peanut butter filling, then covered in shiny baker’s chocolate, and sprinkled in snow-like powdered sugar. This dessert is always a crowd pleaser.
Cake Roll Ingredients:
- eggs, separated
- sugar, separated
- all-purpose flour
- Dutch cocoa powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- cream of tartar
In a small bowl use the handheld mixer to beat the egg yolks with the sugar. In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa, remaining sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture, water, and vanilla to the bowl and mix using the hand mixer until smooth.
In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar using a hand held mixer until stiff peaks have formed. Fold it into the chocolate batter.
Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients:
- peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- butter, optional
The baked cake is rolled and cooled (full directions in the recipe directions below). Once cooled and unrolled, add the peanut butter frosting generously to the cake!
Melt the baker’s chocolate in a bowl and use a pastry brush to coat the roll in the chocolate. Finally, dust the beautiful cake roll with powdered sugar.
This chocolate cake roll is so beautiful when presented on a table! It screams festivity! This is the kind of cake that makes you feel like a giddy little kid again.
More Dessert Recipes by The Blogette to Try Next:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
- Monster Cookie Balls
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Banana Pudding
- Chocolate Turtles
- Fluff Salad
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Roll
- baking sheet approximately 15½ by 10½ inches
- Parchment Paper
- mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- hand towel
For the Cake:
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ + ⅓ cups sugar, separated
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Dutch cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup butter, optional
- 8 ounces baker’s bittersweet chocolate bar
To Make the Cake Roll:
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with PAM cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a small bowl use the handheld mixer to beat 3 egg yolks with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Set aside once combined.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa, remaining sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture, water, and vanilla to the bowl and mix using the hand mixer until smooth.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar using a hand held mixer until stiff peaks have formed. Fold into the batter.
- Pour combined mixture onto the lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 15-18 minutes .
- Immediately invert onto a damp towel. Remove the parchment paper.
- Roll the towel and cake together from one narrow end to the other. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Unroll the cake and remove towel. Reroll cake onto itself and move to a wire wrack allowing it to cool completely.
Prepare the Peanut Butter Frosting:
- Grab a large bowl and mix the peanut butter and powdered sugar with a hand held mixer. Slowly add the milk to bring together into a frosting. For a thinner, fluffier frosting, add the butter.
- Once combined add more milk as needed 1 Tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is met.
- Unroll the cake and fill with the peanut butter frosting in an even layer.
- Reroll and set onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Melt the baker’s chocolate in a bowl and use a pastry brush to coat the roll in the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has harden and are ready to serve.
- Slice into 1/2-1 inch thick pieces. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.