This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Ice Cream Sandwich Cake has layered ice cream sandwiches, with a delicious frozen topping, and drizzled with chocolate. If you are a fan of ice cream cakes, this easy dessert recipe idea is for you!
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
This is a crowd-pleasing dessert to serve to family and friends but is also great if you don’t have time to bake a cake from scratch. It’s also wonderful on warm days because you don’t need to turn on the oven! Kids will definitely eat this ice cream sandwich cake all year round!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- Ice Cream Sandwiches– This recipe uses a total of 6 vanilla sandwiches to build the two layers of this ice cream cake. You can use any brand you can find in your local grocery store. The only requirement really is that they are rectangular, or your cake will have lots of gaps.
- Cool Whip– Technically you can make your own whipped cream if you prefer, but I say keep it simple! An 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip works perfectly for this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe.
- Chocolate syrup: add extra flavor to the ice cream cake, making it taste just like a sundae!
- Toppings of choice: I’ve shown mini M&M candies here, but you can add almost any toppings that you prefer.
My kids even go as far as to request this dessert on their birthdays which is fine by me! You can swap out the M&Ms with sprinkles, Oreos, or other festive candies depending on the event or holiday.
How to Make an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake:
Lay the first box of ice cream sandwiches horizontally 6 by 6 on the sheet pan. Then, place the next box of ice cream sandwiches vertically on top of the horizontal sandwiches.
Use the room temperature cool whip to spread over the top and sides of the sandwiches, as you would frosting a cake. Sprinkle with M&Ms and chips, pressing some into the side of the cake. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Freeze for 2 hours then serve.
You may even experiment with different ice cream sandwich flavors you find! You can try Neapolitan, cookies & cream, or even mint! Mint would be so cute for a St. Patrick’s Day dessert!
This ice cream cake can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and frozen, tightly covered. Let it thaw for about 5-10 minutes before slicing. Depending on the time of year and heat, you may need to freeze the sandwiches after layering them, before “frosting” them.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Sheet pan
- Rubber spatula
- 2 boxes of ice cream sandwiches (12 per box)
- 16 oz Cool Whip
- 8 oz Mini M&Ms
- ½ cup vanilla confetti chips
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce
- Lay the first box of ice cream sandwiches horizontally 6 by 6 on the sheet pan.
- Lay the next box of ice cream sandwiches vertically on top of the horizontal sandwiches, again 6 by 6.
- Use the room temperature cool whip to spread over the top and sides of the sandwiches, as you would frosting a cake.
- Sprinkle with M&Ms and chips, pressing some into the side of the cake.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
- Freeze for 2 hours then serve.