Homemade Chicken Nuggets that are not only healthier than McNuggets, but they’re also addicting! Skip the drive-through for chicken McNuggets, because these are the BEST chicken nuggets you can make at home!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
These healthy chicken nuggets are the perfect flavor-packed alternative to fast food chicken nuggets. Made fresh at home, you can have them served up for the whole family in no time! You will not deep fry them, yet, they taste JUST as good dipped in ketchup and ranch dressing.
These juicy and tender chicken tenders are perfectly seasoned and cooked to a golden brown and superbly crisp coating. With easy-to-find spices, the chicken is pureed and shaped into chicken pieces that are just like the nuggets we all know and love. The natural flavor of chicken makes these homemade McNuggets better than any fast food or the frozen kind you bake on a baking sheet from a bag.
Ingredients in Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken breasts – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
- Yellow potato – Peeled and chopped. This adds flavor and extra substance to the chicken!
- Garlic – A classic ingredient to always keep on hand!
- Cornstarch – This is an adhesive and coating necessary for the nuggets to keep their shape
- All-purpose flour – Combined with cornstarch, this makes the delicious nugget hold their shape
- Dried parsley – Optional! But, great for color, especially if serving for a crowd
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Paprika powder – This adds flavor and color!
- Olive oil – Don’t you love that they’re not deep-fried? So do we!
First, add the chicken, potato, onion, and garlic to a food processor and grind until it’s all completely smooth. Next, add the cornstarch, flour, parsley, salt, pepper, and paprika and pulse a couple more times until fully incorporated.
Then, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then use a 1-inch cookie scoop to scoop out 10-12 balls of the mix out into the pan. After that, spray the back of a spoon with non-stick spray then press down the tops of the balls to form a single layer nugget shape (about 2-inch pieces).
Finally, let them cook for 2-3 minutes then flip and let them cook for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked through and a golden crust starts to form. No breadcrumbs, oven, baking sheets, buttermilk egg mixture, or excess oil needed! The menu items from your favorite fast-food restaurant are now served at home without a deep fryer!
Easy homemade chicken nuggets with chicken breast are golden and crisp on the outside and juicy and tender inside. They’re freezer-friendly, oven friendly, and air fryer friendly, so make extra.
Dry them on a paper towel, large baking sheet, or platter, these nuggets are ready for dipping! If you have many to feed, consider making several batches because they will be eaten quickly! With a side cup of milk, some BBQ sauce, or dips you love, these nuggets have less sodium than the McDonald, Burger King, Chick Fil A, or other fast-food chains.
Freezing and Making Ahead
Freezing: Make chicken nuggets, then place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze until solid then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen until golden brown and crisp.
Make ahead: Cooked nuggets can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in a hot oven until warmed through.
How To Reheat:
Put the frozen chicken tenders straight into the oven or air fryer to crisp back up.
OVEN: Bake in a single layer at 375 degrees F. for 15 minutes, until heated through and crisp.
AIR FRYER: Put in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes, shaking halfway through, until heated through.
More Recipes by The Blogette to Try Next:
- KFC Chicken Bowl Casserole Recipe
- Chicken and Broccoli Ring
- Taco Bell Gordita Ring
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- food processor
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Pan/Skillet for cooking
- 4 chicken breasts (about 2 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1 yellow potato (about 4 ounces), peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ white onion (about 2 ounces), roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- Add the chicken, potato, onion and garlic to a food processor and grind until it’s all completely smooth.
- Add the cornstarch, flour, parsley, salt, pepper and paprika and pulse a couple more times until fully incorporated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then use a 1-inch cookie scoop to scoop out 10-12 balls of the mix out into the pan.
- Spray the back of a spoon with non-stick spray then press down the tops of the balls to form a nugget shape.
- Let them cook for 2-3 minutes then flip and let them cook for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked through and a golden crust starts to form.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining chicken mixture then serve with ketchup and garnish with freshly minced parsley if desired.