This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
French Onion Chicken features juicy chicken breast, melted butter, caramelized onions, and lots of gooey melted cheese all cooked in one fabulous skillet. The flavors come together to create an irresistible dinner you’ll want to make time and time again!
French Onion Chicken
This dish is cooked in one pan and done in 45 minutes. If you like French onion soup, the taste of this chicken and sauce will leave you satisfied and wanting more!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- Yellow onions
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Balsamic vinegar
- Chicken breasts
- Pepper jack cheese – can be substituted for Monterey jack or mozzarella
- Parmesan cheese
- Pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, or desired sides for serving
Begin by slicing onions about ¼ inch thick. Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and simmer over medium-high heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
Stir in the thyme, garlic, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar. Move onions to one side and add chicken breast. Cover the chicken with the onions.
Sprinkle the top with both cheeses and place in the center of the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is toasty, and the chicken is cooked through.
By this time, your entire kitchen smells absolutely divine! The melted butter, caramelized onions, chicken, and cheese are bubbling to perfection and ready to enjoy!
- White or brown rice
- Rice Pilaf
- Pasta or egg noodles
- Mashed potatoes
French Onion Chicken Recipe
French Onion Chicken
- Large oven safe skillet, cast iron skillet, OR baking dish
- Mixing spoon
- 2 yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 chicken breasts, split lengthwise to be ½-¾ inch thick
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese (or monterey jack or mozzarella)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400º℉
- Slice the onions about ¼ inch thick
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet
- Add the onions and simmer over medium-high heat until the onions are soft and translucent
- Add the thyme and garlic and or another minute, stirring
- Add the chicken broth and balsamic vinegar
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes
- Move onions to one side of the skillet and add the chicken breast
- Cover the chicken breasts with the onions. If you don't have a cast iron skillet or over-safe skillet, transfer the onion mixture and chicken to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chicken and onions with both cheeses, and place the skillet (or baking dish) in center of the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until cheese is toasty, and chicken is cooked through
- Remove from oven and serve with desired sides