This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The season is perfect for Make-Ahead Chicken Pot Pie. These mini pot pies are freezer-friendly, or you can bake them for dinner tonight! Pot pie is a one-dish meal that is SO yummy and perfect for cold weather (or any time of year!).
Make-Ahead Chicken Pot Pie
This is a wonderful recipe to use with leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can easily shred some boneless chicken for the pot pie. This recipe is great for when you need a quick dinner for one or two people or when you want a yummy lunch to take with you to work or school.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- Refrigerated pie crust
- Condensed cream of chicken
- Condensed cream of celery
- Chicken, cooked and shredded – or protein of choice
- Cans of vegetables, like peas, corn, and carrots. Frozen peas and veggies work too!
- salt and pepper
- Disposable aluminum 9×5 loaf pans
- can opener
- aluminum foil
- plastic wrap
- large bowl
After preparing the chicken pot pie mixture, it’s time to create an easy dough crush. Using store-bought pie crust, cut the dough according to the shape of your loaf pans. I LOVE using disposable aluminum loaf pans because they’re easy to freeze and for baking. Plus, the clean-up can’t be beat! Of course, you can always use a homemade pie crust, if desired.
Portion the chicken pot pie filling between the loaf pans and top with the cut crust. Cut slits in the top pie crust to allow steam to escape. You can also use a fork to poke holes in the top crust.
To freeze: wrap with tin foil, followed by plastic wrap. When you’re ready to bake, brush the pie tops with an egg wash and bake until golden perfection. See the timing below for baking details.
Allow the beautiful pot pie to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving. By this point, the kitchen smells SO GOOD that you’re bound to have some family members gathered ready to eat! Are you cooking for one? Consider making Individual Mini Pot Pies instead!
These easy Chicken Pot Pies are loaded with the tastiest hot, creamy filling mixed with chunky chicken and veggies. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures baked between two layers of flaky pie crust.
Make Ahead Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Make Ahead Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 disposable 9×5 aluminum loaf pans
- can opener
- Plastic wrap
- Large mixing bowl
- Basting Brush
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can of condensed cream of chicken
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can of condensed cream of celery
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 (15 ounce ounce) cans of peas and carrots, drained (or your favorite variety of canned vegetables)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (except the pie crust and egg, the egg is used for the egg wash before baking), and stir until well combined.
- Trim the pie crust to make two tops to fit the loaf pans.
- Portion the filling between the loaf pans.
- Top with the cut crust.
- Cut slits in the top pie crust to allow steam to escape.
To Make the Egg Wash
- Whisk together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water.
To Bake Immediately:
- Brush the top of the pot pie crusts with egg wash
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and golden brown
- To freeze: wrap with tin foil, followed by plastic wrap.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400F and bake unwrapped for 1 hour.
- Egg wash the top pie crust the last 15 minutes if desired for browning.