This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pineapple Casserole is a classic comforting dish that is great for holidays or as a comforting meal, the perfect side dish, or even dessert! Yes, you read that right- Pineapple casserole is so versatile with yummy ingredients that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Don’t lose this recipe because I know you’ll love it!
This unique recipe with pineapple chunks, pineapple rings, bread, sugar, butter, and more. My pineapple casserole recipe looks refreshingly unique, and it’s always a hit! The prep time is minimal and the savory sweet baked pineapple casserole bakes to golden brown perfection.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- pineapple chunks
- white bread
- melted butter
- granulated sugar
- whole milk
- large eggs
- pure vanilla extract
- pineapple rings
- maraschino cherries
- Ritz cracker crumbs (or buttery crackers)
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Ice cream on the side for extra sweetness if eating it as a dessert
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Add granulated sugar to your egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
Substitute pineapple chunks with very drained crushed pineapple
Swap the white bread with butter bread or potato bread. Wheat bread is also an option but changes the flavor slightly to be a nuttier taste.
Use half and half instead of whole milk.
Substitute the vanilla extract with almond extract
Sprinkle your cubed white bread in a layer along the bottom of your prepared casserole dish. Gently stir the pineapple mixture chunks evenly throughout the bread cubes.
Top the bread and pineapple mixture with the egg mixture, making sure to coat each bread cube. You can use a fork to push the bread cubes around the baking dish to make sure the bread is coated.
Bake your pineapple casserole in your preheated oven for 40 minutes, uncovered. Remove it from the oven and top it with pineapple rings and maraschino cherries, then place it back in the oven uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until the pineapples on top are warm.
This pineapple casserole can be enjoyed warm or cold, however, it is most commonly served warm.
This pineapple casserole pairs well with any meat; however, it is best served with ham. It can be served as a breakfast item or even a dessert. It is very versatile!
No, you do not have to use canned pineapple, you can slice your own pineapple and use it in this recipe.
Freeze the finished dish in an airtight container that is freezer safe for up to 4 months. To thaw, place the casserole in an airtight container in your refrigerator until fully thawed, and then heat and serve.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Pineapple Casserole Recipe
- 9×13 baking dish
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Large Bowl
- (optional) baking thermometer
- 20 ounce can of pineapple chunks, very well drained
- 7 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ cup salted butter, melted
- 1⅔ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 pineapple rings
- 6 maraschino cherries
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, butter, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add granulated sugar to your egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Spread your cubed white bread in a layer along the bottom of your greased 9×13 baking dish. Randomly spread the pineapple chunks evenly throughout the bread cubes.
- Pour your egg mixture over the bread and pineapple chunks making sure to coat each bread cube. You can use a fork to push the bread cubes down into the mixture if they are dry.
- Bake your pineapple casserole in your preheated oven for 40 minutes, uncovered. Remove it from the oven and top it with pineapple rings and maraschino cherries, then place it back in the oven uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until the pineapples on top are warm.
- Optional: Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the casserole before removing it from the oven to serve. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees due to having eggs as an ingredient.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.