This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cowboy Casserole is an easy and comfort-food dinner with simple ingredients like ground beef, cheese, corn, and sour cream, then topped with delicious tater tots.
Much like our super-loved Shepherd’s Pie Casserole, this recipe never disappoints. If you don’t have ground beef on hand, use whatever meat you have or choose to use! We love easy and versatile casserole recipes like this.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- Tater tots, fully cooked
- Ground beef
- Cream of chicken soup
- Monterey jack cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- Corn, drained
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Green onions
This recipe includes layers of a meat mixture topped with baked tater tots. You will need to bake the frozen tater tots before adding them to the casserole pan. Because this is a versatile recipe, you can use whatever meat you have on hand or choose to use (like ground turkey, ground chicken, or your protein of choice).
In a medium skillet, brown ground beef along with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef to a large mixing bowl. Add in the corn, cream of chicken, half of the cheese, and sour cream.
You can also add additional ingredients like cooked bacon, peas, carrots, green chilies, tomatoes, pinto beans, black beans, green chiles, chili powder, or more!
Now it’s time to assemble the yummy Cowboy Casserole Recipe! Place the creamy and cheesy beef mixture at the bottom of your prepared baking dish. Flatten it evenly with the back of a spoon. Top with warm and crunchy tater tots, lining each one in neat rows.
Bake the casserole for about 25 minutes. Then, remove it from the oven, sprinkle on the remaining cheese, and bake it for a few more minutes. The wonderful flavor of the casserole will begin to make your kitchen smell amazing and everyone will start to feel hungry!
Ground Beef Cowboy Casserole Recipe
When done, allow to cool slightly and garnish with chopped green onions. This tater tot casserole isn’t only delicious for dinner, but the leftovers are super tasty too!
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Ground beef and vegetables in a creamy sauce topped with golden tater tots, what is there not to love?
Cowboy Casserole Recipe
- 9×13 baking
- Non-Stick spray
- Mixing bowl
- 2 cups tater tots, fully cooked
- 1 pound ground beef
- 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 15 ounce can corn, drained
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef along with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add ground beef to a large mixing bowl. Add in corn, cream of chicken, water, half of the cheese, and sour cream. Mix until well blended.
- Add to the bottom of the baking dish and flatten evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Top with tater tots, lining each one in neat rows.
- Place inside the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with the remaining cheese and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.
- When done, allow to cool slightly and garnish with chopped green onions before serving.